1) Not reaching the audience.
2) Not finding the audience when they are open to hearing it.
This is why marketing to audiences when they are in the right mindset is critical to success.
People ignore messaging that is not relevant to them AT THAT MOMENT.
Before sending out any message you should ask:
- Is your message relevant to your audience?
- Is your message reaching that audience at a time when they are open to hearing it?
- Is your message providing some sort of perceived value to the audience?
This last point is very important and it can mean a lot of things. Your message could contain great content, that is interesting and makes the audience feel like they have been entertained, informed, etc. This is a perceived value. It could also be more traditional value in the form of tips, advice, insider knowledge, or even a discount or promotion. The point is if the audience perceives the message to have value AND they see it when they are open to hearing the message, your campaign will be successful.